1. Insurance: The benefits of having a vehicle insurance policy are enormous plus, it is a legal requirement for every vehicle owner. However, the vehicle insurance industry has been flooded with an alarming number of fake insurance policies, with many vehicle owners in the dark as to the genuity of their insurance covers.
To check if your insurance policy is genuine and to avoid being hounded by law enforcement officials, send an SMS in the following format to 33125: Policy Number*Vehicle Plate Number or log onto www.askniid.org click “Check Policy” and impute the Policy or Car Registration Number. Check out our previous article on Insurance
2. Valid Custom Clearance Papers: All cars purchased from outside the shores of Nigeria are required to have passed through Custom Clearance at the point of entry and clearance papers issued as evidence of payment of the Excise Duty. Custom Officers are empowered to stop vehicles and inspect their clearance papers. Where these clearance papers are determined by Custom Officials to be fake, they are empowered to seize and impound such vehicle.
Read up on how to avoid this, here and check the customs site for more details.
3. Tinted Glass Permit: This is issued to vehicles with Factory-fitted tinted Glass only. Any vehicle owner driving tinted glass vehicles without a permit risks payment of a fine therefore, all tinted glass vehicle owners should apply for the necessary permits from the Nigerian Police.
Log onto www.npf.gov.ng/tinted to apply for your tinted glass vehicle permit.
4. Licence Plate Verification: Some Vehicle Owners have been stopped by the Federal road safety Corps (FRSC) and other law enforcement bodies regarding issues with their vehicle licence plates. Many of these people are unaware that these licence plates are fake or registered to another vehicle, especially when they have followed the due process for obtaining theses licence plates.
Avoid harassment by the law enforcement agencies by verifying your on licence plates through the following steps:
• Go to www.nvisng.org/numberplateverification.aspx
• Enter the vehicle licence plate number in the space provided and click on the verify button.
• The registration information i.e. the vehicle type and registration date will be displayed below the verify button. If the information displayed does not correspond with your papers, please head to the nearest FRSC office to correct your details or re-register.
It is important to note one runs the risk of his vehicle being seized or impounded while making clarifications on at the FRSC.
This verification is only applicable to the number plates with this formats ABC123AB not AB123 ABC.
5. Every smart Nigerian car owner should know whom to complain to when law enforcement agents like the Police indiscriminately harass and intimidate them.
For the Nigerian Police:
Calls only: 0805700 0001 and 0805700 0002
SMS or Whatsapp: 0805700 0003
BBM Pin: 58A2B5DE